Sunday, April 26, 2009

Ch. 10 - Ana

Chapter 10

1. What are the three different ways the early church has responded to the social order in which it lived?
I believe the first thing was, as Jesus said, that we are in the world but no part of it, our citizen is in heaven and obeying to God our priority. Second we should give to society of state what belongs to them and to God what belongs to Him. And third we should denounce and rebel against anyone who what’s to take God’s place in our lives. That’s what the early church did and that is what we should do.

2. St. Paul said that he became “all things to all men” for the purpose of spreading the Gospel. What are the limits to this approach in being a Christian witness?
I believe the limit is to do something sinful that others do to feel accepted by them and supposedly sharing the Gospel. I should add that doing this will be confusing for them but most than anything else denying the Scripture since we ought to be doers of the Word before we become witness of the Word.

3. Regarding the apostles, Scott says “The hostile, negative reaction they experience from society is to be expected.” (P. 267) Question: What kinds of negative reaction do you experience from this current society?
I had experience people at work and even family and friends making fun of me, people walking away when I started to share the gospel, friends getting separated from me or not inviting me to their gatherings, I had lost friends that I have had for years, I had people at work expressively telling me not to talk about religion and I was also defied by someone who assure me he was going to get me out of that absurd religion.

4. Scott states; “The state, on the other hand, does not know of the lordship of Christ but still serves Him unconsciously and against its will.” (P. 287) Question: What action can we take to help change the state for serving Christ and following God‟s Will?
I am not sure I understand this question, but according to the Scott, our responsibility is to respect and obey the state as long as its goal is to create peace and order which is God’s will; but since the state can also be used by the devil, if the state would required from us to do something that “clearly” is against Scripture we should remember our first allegiance is to Christ and the Scripture.

3 comments:

  1. Ana, do you think that UnChristians know the will of God?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you mean unbelievers? I guess they do. Since we all had been created on the image of God, we all have the ability to distinguish good from evil. I work with children and my experience had been that even young children reach a point when they know they are doing something that is not allowed or right to do. You can see them looking at you after or before they do it, hiding (as Adam, interesting don’t you think?) or looking down. So, I strongly believe we all have that capability, even when there is the new movement of relativism, if someone hurts one of your love ones, no matter how much good reason they might have, you know is wrong. Even if someone doesn’t believe on the Ten Commandments or in God, I know they won’t think is right if someone lies to them, cheats on them or doesn’t things that we know are not right. We all were created with a God’s void shape in or hearts on not matter how much some people try to ignore it. They just try to fill it with other things. Yes, I believe un believers also have some kind of conscious of the will of God. How about you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the will of God is to know Him and make Him known. With this, I can see how unbelievers play a passive role in the will of God. Meaning that they are present when God is working around them, though they don't have the understanding of His plan and purpose. So I think until an unbeliever believes, then they will not know the will of the Father.

    ReplyDelete