Sunday, March 1, 2009

1.) The names of Jesus tell us more of what he did, according to Cullmann, “the names and titles provide clues to the individuality and nature of Jesus as well as give interpretation of his significance.” His character is revealed in names such as “Christ”, “The Son of God”, and “The Righteous / Just One”. One of the names of Jesus that means the most to me is “Savior”.
2.) Savior, reconciler, messiah, crucified, servant, creator, sustainer, ruler, redeemer, resurrected, shepherd, guardian, master, preserves, and glorifies. These are all the ways in which the New Testament reveals the fact that Jesus Christ was indeed relational.
3.) I believe that Christ functioned both in the role of the divine but was also indeed divine.
4.) Yes, the New Testament says much about the nature and background of Jesus. As I have mentioned in previous questions, Jesus is a servant, is the Messiah, is the ruler of all, is creator, is the shepherd, is the master and is resurrected… As for Jesus’ background, again, yes the New Testament speaks directly to His background. Most of the gospels and epistles are all letters that speak to both the nature and background of Jesus.

4 comments:

  1. Question: I am not sure how the names “Christ and the son of God” can show Jesus’ character, could you tell me a little bit more? And why the name “Savior” means the most to you? I could sound obvious but what is your reasoning behind that one in particular? How do you see the names crucified and resurrected as relational? Could you give us one example from the NT where Jesus background as before He came to earth is mention?

    Sorry I am not picking on you. I am just trying to understand your responses and help you to grasp the material better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ana, thank you. I know you arent picking on me. I believe you just caught me in a vulnerable time when my commitment to this blog is lacking. I will answer one of your questions as of right now, why Savior means the most to me?
    Savior to me is so very menaingful because I need one so very badly! I am more and more aware of my tendency to sin as everyday passes. Its not a shamful thing for me to be aware of such tendencies, although it does overwhelm me at times, as it is a good understanding of who I am and who Christ is that He would give His life up so that I might be free from these tendencies. I an free becasue of my Savior!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not gonna lie Tim, your genuineness is an absolute breath of fresh air. Your are a true brother in Christ. And I love that. (Not to say you other two on here are chopped liver). :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Timothy is right we are not chopped liver, ; ) Just kidding! I mean you are genuine Tim, first because we all probably feel overwhelmed and sometime don’t give our best to the school work, but more than anything because we all need our Savior, to rescue us… from school work… just kidding again! ; )
    To rescue us from our weaknesses because like Paul said, the evil we don’t want to do we do and the good we want to do sometimes we don’t do it. I wonder how in the world I did it before He found me!

    ReplyDelete