Sunday, March 1, 2009

npenland ch 4

1. How do the names of Jesus in the New Testament help us to see God‟s character? Which of these means the most to you and why.

I think the names of Jesus shows that he relates to all people and gives us a glimpse of how big He is. The word thst keeps coming to me (because of my joy for athletics) is versatile. He fits so many descriptions. He is the comple package. The first to be risen and be in the Glorified state. I would say that the one that means the most to me right now is Perfector. He knows all things and discipleship is the obedience to Him daily as he continues to perfect our faith. It will be great when we will be made mature and complete.

2. How does the rest of the New Testament reveal Christ as a relational Savior?
Different names that are given that depict a relational Jesus are Servant/ Child, Reconciler, The Great Shepherd. Also as Paul acknowledges having knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ, being able to know Christ personally so that we are able to follow His example. These (not an exaustive list) are a few names that describe His relational being.

3. What do you think of the statement on page 82 that Jesus was not really divine but functioned in that role ("Functional Christology")?
This is diminishing who Christ is, almost saying that anyone could have done it. The nature of Christ is just as important as the life he lived. Without HIm being divine, Christianity doesn't uphold Salvation, a perfect sacfrifice who is able to take away the sins of the world. Without HIm being divine, he is not perfect.

4. Does the New Testament say anything about the background and nature of Jesus? If so, what?
I don't know if this question pertains to His boyhood, or existence before becoming flesh. The New Testament speak much about Christ existing before coming to earth. John 1 and Phillippians 2 are just two examples. Jesus also says that He was before Abraham. The names that Scott mentions also gives us an idea of who Jesus is. I feel this question being so broad that I don't know exactly what they desire fore an answer.

5 comments:

  1. I wasn’t sure I understood this question either but you are right, there are several passages about His pre-human existence besides Revelations which first came to me mind where He said “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end”; there is John where He is mention as being “God and with God”; I don’t remember what Philippians says on this matter but I know Jesus had said “He was before Abraham”; now if by nature they meant His deity, Jesus Himself said when He was asked that He was the Son of God, that the Father and Him where one, at the beginning of His ministry He read the prophets and stated that a particular prophesy about the Messiah had been fulfilled before their eyes; the prophesies themselves ratify His Messiahship, anyways, there is a lot of evidence of who He was and is.

    Question: What does it mean thst?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Versitile... I like that, as well as perfector... I can't wait for the day!

    And as for "thst" is that some new greek translation or did you mean to write the word "that"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know Tim, inspiration of the Holy Spirit there, or maybe the s is really close to the a on the keyboard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good insight Nate on the many different names given to Jesus in the New Testament. Versatility is indeed a good way to put it. I actually have thought about this topic before and I took notice that C.H. Spurgeon, who is def. one of my favorite preachers ever, often would preach a sermon on any given title given to Christ. You seriously could preach a sermon on each individual title given to Him throughout Scripture and still just barely scratch the surface of the depths of Christ. The titles given to Him in Scripture are invaluable to us understanding His nature and mission to save mankind from their sins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was really funny, I surly thought ‘thst’ was a name! :0)
    Thanks for the explanation on the names and what Spurgeon had said, very interesting, I didn’t know that.

    ReplyDelete