Sunday, March 29, 2009

Ch. 7 Timothy Fatheree

1) When I was younger in my faith I often fell into the rut that it was only the Holy Spirit working inside of me that brought about sanctification. Of course, the negatives to this way of thinking is that there were times in my life when I did not grow as rapidly as other times because I myself was not striving along with the Spirit to bring about my sanctification. Now let's get it straight that when we grow to be more like Christ it is all God. There is nothing we could do to become more like God without the Holy Spirit. So God receives all of the glory. However, it is necessary that we take the changes that the Holy Spirit brings about inside of us and put them into practice. It is also necessary that we work along side the Holy Spirit in doing things such as keeping ourselves out of situations which would probably lead to our own sin.

2) No, we can not lose the Holy Spirit. Once the Holy Spirit has been gained by a believer he belongs to God forever. If there is nothing that we can do in and of ourselves to gain salvation then there is nothing that we can do to lose our salvation either. I believe that this way of thinking, that we can lose our salvation based on something wrong we have done, is just as wrong as someone believing if they can just be a good enough person they can make it to heaven. It all revolves around Christ. He and His work on the cross did away with this whole line of thinking. It is not for us to lose the Holy Spirit. Christ has already assured us through His work on the cross that we are forgiven of our sins and justified, belonging to the Lord for all eternity.

3) "A careful study suggests that the Sermon on the Mount is a selected sampling of Jesus' teachings which demonstrate in general and by example the type of life and attitudes expected of those who are citizens of the Kingdom of God." Scott's understanding of the Sermon on the Mount would open the way for a believer to view what it is that he/she has in store for him/herself when they are before Christ and glorified/perfected. To be a little bit more straightforward, Jesus' sermon on the Mount is a great set of guidelines for Christians to strive to follow seeing as how they are the details of how people are expected to act in the Kingdom of God. So, seeing as how we as Christians are continually seeking to grow closer to being like Christ, which would be putting into practice the lessons taught in the Sermon on the Mount, we can use the Sermon on the Mount as something which points us in the right direction on our journey towards sanctification.

9 comments:

  1. Tim I really like your logic in question 2 it makes sense. If we can do nothing to gain our salvation then there is nothing we can do to lose it. It makes sense. Now let's talk about perserverance. do all true believers continue pursuing Christ after they make Him their savior, as you and Nathan have been discussing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think we have answered this question with another question. Were they ever Christians to begin with? Tim F (Correct me if I'm wrong) has said that a true believer will ultimately perservere. The struggle I have is the lack of knowledge we have a person's heart or motives. I guess faith in Him has a big part in this process, and also the importance of continuing to share the gospel, even with believers to be reminded and maybe to bring someone back to the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Answering your question Tim, unfortunately no. I personally know several people who seemed have received the Lord in their hearts genuinely but appeared to be stock in their growth, they had even gone back to the churches they knew and their old believes. I guess one could question if they are really save. I don’t know, but I certainly hope God shows them the true. One I personally lead to Christ and now is going with her family to the Jehovah Witness Doctrine. I honestly don’t know what to tell her. She leaves really far for me to invite her to church and you know how aggressive JW are on their indoctrination. I don’t know what to tell her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Timothy, when you say the Sermon of the Mount teaches who to behave in the Kingdom of God, do you mean after we die? I thought it was related to our earthly choices and how they will determine our spiritual blessings here on earth as well as in heaven. I think I am a little confused here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I meant how to behave... no who. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First, regarding Ana's question about the Sermon on the Mount, your answer is going to be based on how you view the Kingdom of God. It sounds like you are viewing the Kingdom of God as something that will only occur after we have died. However, a close look at the concept of the Kingdom of God reveals that there is a now/not yet aspect to the Kingdom of God. Realized yet unrealized. In other words, aspects of the Kingdom of God have already been established, are happening every day, and will not be completed until the future. Does that help a little bit? How do you other guys think that is worded? It is kind of a difficult idea to explain.

    And I agree with you Nate on the topic of perseverance for Christians. And I agree with you even more on the topic of not being able to identify their motives and hearts. However, Christ does know their hearts and things that He says about His followers are; John 8:31-32, "Jesus then said to the Jews who had believed in him,'If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.'" "If you continue in my word."
    Also, Matthew 10:22, "He who endures to the end will be saved."
    "He who endures to the end."
    Also, Paul says, in Colossians 1:22-23, "in order to present you holy and blameless and irreproachable before him, provided that you continue in the faith, stable and steadfast, not shifting from the gospel which you heard."
    "Provided that you continue in the faith."
    And Hebrews 3:14, "For we have become partakers of Christ, if we hold fast the beginning of our assurance firm to the end."
    "Hold fast the beginning of our assurance firm to the end."

    Genuine believers will hold to their faith in Christ til the end. And He will be the judge of that faith. It is possible for a person to profess Christ but it not be genuine and for him/her to fall away from that profession. Once again, only Christ can judge. He is the only one who knows what is really going on in someone's heart.
    1 Corinthians 4:5, "Therefore do not pronounce judgment before the time, before the LORD comes, who will bring into light the things now hidden in darkness and will disclose the purposes of the heart. Then each one will receive his commendation from God."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Tim, this is a personal struggle (family) of mine and glad we have talked through it. I appreciate teh references too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No problem Nate. But I believe you have the right perspective on it and that is we have no way of being able to know for sure about that person's heart. All that we can do is observe the fruit that they are producing. Trust me, I have people who are very close to me who do not necessarily live their life for God, but they are adament about the fact that they are saved. What can you do right? I don't know their hearts. I am not their judge.

    ReplyDelete