Sunday, March 29, 2009

Ch. 7 - Ana

Chapter 7
1. What does it mean the spiritual life is a “cooperative effort” and what do you believe this implies?
This means the believer must be actively involved in furthering his/her own spiritual growth. The believer does his/her part and thus cooperates with God to reach spiritual maturity. It is a conscientious human effort.

2. Some denominations believe that the gift of the Holy Spirit can be gained and lost. Can humans affect the work of the Holy Spirit to the point where it can be lost and regained in one’s life?
I don’t believe one can lose the gift of the Holy Spirit. The Bible tells us that we are sealed with the Spirit once we believe in Jesus and accept Him in our hearts and that the seal is the testimony of our mutual commitment and belonging to Him. Stating that we lose the Holy Spirit is as much as saying we lose our salvation and the Bible clearly tell us that “nothing can separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus” Rom 8:37-39.

3. What is the purpose of the Sermon on the Mount as presented by Scott? How does Scott's understanding contribute to the sanctification process?
The purpose is to help believers on their growth and development. Sanctification is and intellectual commitment which involves faith or in other words trust in the truth. The Sermon on the Mount is where Jesus provides us with some guidelines to help us in the process of sanctification which came with blessings, but those also imply faith; as we trust in God’s sovereignty and allow the Holy Spirit to do His job in us we will be blessed.

4 comments:

  1. Ana your confidence is amazing. In your responce for question 2 you use scripture in such an authoritative way. I agree completely with you and in your understanding of Rom. 8:37-39 - nothing can seperate us from Christ after placing our life in his hands. I'm flag you are in our group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to say I'm glad you are in our group, not flag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha. Totally didn't get that the way you wrote it first. I actually was trying to sort through it in my head. Ha. I agree though, Ana, your statement is very sound and I love your confidence as well. The mark of a true Christian is extreme confidence in God's Word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering what you meant by flag, I even look it up in the dictionary, well… thank you!
    Even though I still have a lot of questions in my head and continue figuring things out in my spiritual (like everybody else, I guess), at least I am completely sure on that one.

    ReplyDelete