Sunday, March 8, 2009

Ch. 5 - Ana

Chapter 5

1. Reconciliation: Are we reconciled to God, or is God reconciled to us, or both? Explain. (p111-112)

According to the author, reconciliation is the work of God through Christ, He changes us who were enemies into friends, and He brings us closer to Him. God is not our enemy, so He doesn’t need to be reconciled; it was us who rebelled and departed from His perfect plan and will and became His enemies. God is the initiator the Reconciler but He also reconciled himself with all of us.

2. How did Jews and Gentiles differ in their view of salvation? How should a Christian view salvation? (p103-104)

Besides the Greco-Roman view of salvation as a deliverance from dangerous and threatening situations or circumstances; such us a severe disease, battle, etc.; or obtaining a position of well-being, safety and security, Gentiles pursued salvation from fear of death, purposelessness, the insecurities of life and unseen powers. On the other hand Jews wanted to be saved from the penalty of breaking God’s Law; but the Bible tell us that Salvation is by faith alone in the work of Christ apart from good deeds. Jesus’ sacrifice in the cross was unique, powerful and perfect and does not need human deeds to be completed. So salvation is by faith.

3. What is “kerugma” and what is it made up of according to Scott? Would you agree or disagree with his position – justify your answer. (p106)

According to Scott, this means the proclamation or preaching; the content of the early Christians when they were attempting to make new converts. It answers the question: What must I do to be saved?. Scott states the Word of God contains the important points even if they are in different order; so this is the base for someone to reach salvation. I agree first because the Bible can not contradict itself; and then because when we go through the epistles we see those core points require for salvation: true repentance, acknowledgement of the need to be save, believe in Jesus, proclaim Him as Lord and Savior and follow Him.

4 comments:

  1. What do you all think of perserverance of the saints? (Once Saved always saved). This is something I go back and forth on. I guess I haven't put my foot down and decided, but I would like to read your thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I learned is that once we are saved we will always be saved. Our Pastor used to tell us it would be a contradiction to say that you can lose your “eternal life”, if eternal means forever and if it is a “gift” (which it is) then once it belongs to us, it belongs to us; it cannot be taken from our Giver. He also used to say that it would be like we were drowning in the sea and we got saved from death and then our Savior would throw us back into the sea. It wouldn’t make sense. Still I know there are some passages that seem to imply that we can lose our Salvation, but as far as I remember if you read them in context that is not what they meant. I don’t know I might be wrong but I guess many of us like to have that assurance. It would be interesting to hear everybody else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perseverance of the saints is a biblical doctrine. It is alluding to the fact that those who are the true saints of God will endure to the end. I know me and you have discussed this shortly Nate but we did not get to get into just a whole lot. Once saved always saved is right. However, someone who confessed to be a Christian at one point in his/her life and then fell away FOR THE REMAINDER OF HIS/HER LIFE may have in fact never been a genuine believer at all. There are moments in every Christian's life when they are not walking as closely with God as they did did at some other point. This should not be considered a problem as that person will return to God or will continue striving to walk closely with God. But someone who forsakes God to the end of his/her life has not endured to the end and thus would fall under the category of not being one of the saints. (That being said, there is no way we can view someone's heart so I do not believe it is our place at all to determine who "The saints" are or are not.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, I think the hard part is not knowing peoples heart and struggles. So I guess knowing if people are genuine beleivers is also something I struggle with. I think you are right Tim is saying that we cannot determine their hearts, which is hard for me (I guess I want controll!)

    ReplyDelete